Pages

Friday, December 19, 2008

Aunt Ellie's Floating Peach Cobbler

This stuff is goooooood. My grandma gave this recipe to me several months ago, and I've used the heck out of it. It's one I always have within arm's reach, unless it's hiding behind the oven.

Grandma got it from her life-long friend, Aunt Ellie. Now, Ellie's not a blood aunt, but my family has always called her that. She and her husband, Doyle, were the first real friends Grandma and Grandpa had when they moved to California as newlyweds. So give all of the much deserved credit for this recipe to Aunt Ellie. I'm sure she won't mind my passing it around.

Beware! There's not a single thing about it that's healthy! "Dessert" and "healthy" aren't friends at my house. Please make it anyway!

And send me the leftovers. Scratch that, you won't have any. Unless you're my beautiful sister-in-law, and have a disturbing aversion to baked things (baked fruit at that! Crimeny!).


Ingredients:
1 stick (1/2 Cup) Butter
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
3/4 Cup Milk
1 large can Sliced Peaches in Heavy Syrup

Melt butter in 9x13 baking dish. (Just put it in the oven while it's pre-heating.) Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and milk in a small bowl. Pour over melted butter in baking dish. DO NOT STIR! It will look odd, just some pools of batter sitting in hot butter, but that's Ok. Don't fret. Spoon peaches and syrup over batter. DO NOT STIR! Just pile 'em in there, and pour any leftover syrup right on top. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until as golden as you like it.

I usually add an additional small (15 oz.) can of peaches to the large can, omitting the extra syrup. This makes the cobbler go (a bit) further! Like, it'll last a whole day instead of merely 3/4 of a day.

This is such a fun dessert to make. It goes in the oven looking like a sad excuse for a cobbler, but the batter rises up through everything and surrounds the peaches, surprising you when it's done.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hmm...And how did that make you FEEL?