Pages

Friday, December 26, 2008

I may be a little crazy...

When we started having babies, we received some wise advice to not tiptoe around the house trying to be quiet. The theory was that the babies would never learn to sleep with outside noises if we were being unnaturally quiet all the time.

This sounds practical and intelligent, but for the life of me, I cannot do it. If it took a long, hard effort to finally get the baby asleep, how could I possibly knowingly disturb her? No, I'd rather tiptoe.

Despite my being unusually quiet when the kids are sleeping, they seem to not wake at normal house noises. But there's always a chance right? My mind says, "but what if she's in just the right phase of light sleep, and she wakes up?"

I cringe when someone dares to blow their nose without first being behind a closed bathroom door. The girls sleep on. You close that bathroom door without gently easing the latch into place? Every muscle in my body tightens, but the girls won't notice. Poor Justin eats his dessert with a plastic spoon sometimes, just to avoid my pained look when a real spoon clangs the side of the bowl.

It's sudden and loud, OK?

Case in point, Thanksgiving Eve I had a cookie crumb crust to make with the food processor. Justin caught me in the act.

You say crazy, I say considerate.

Yet, I can probably count on one hand the number of times one of these noises has disturbed one of our sleeping babies over the last three years. So it's clearly my issue.

Here's why another man would have divorced me by now:

Today, Justin headed out to pick up our Christmas gift to each other - a new TV. We ordered it last week, and we're pretty excited to join the cool-flat-screen-club.

I had just put Lauren down for a nap, and was pretty certain she had fallen asleep, when Justin was ready to head out the door. Her bedroom is right behind the garage, and all I could think about was, "when Justin starts the car, Lauren will hear it! She'll wake back up!"

I offered the following completely sane, reasonable alternative. Justin could put the car in neutral, and I'd push him out of the garage, down to the bottom of our steep driveway, where he could then start the engine.

Makes sense, right?

Guys?

Well, when you look at it written down it looks a bit over the top, but...like I said...this is my issue.

Justin, the sweet, kind, normal soul that he is, thought I was joking when I suggested it. I smiled and laughed and assured him I was positively serious.

And would you believe, he let me do it?! This is why I married him. (Well, this, and he's a hottie.) He loves me in spite of my craziness, and humors me as needed.

He was laughing all the way down the driveway. Not even cursing under his breath!

P.S. He even parked in the street when he came home. Man, I love that guy.

7 comments:

  1. You are right...CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the little things we do and our hubbies still love us......even after 31 yrs for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to post a comment yesterday, but it didn't work. I'll try again.
    I think you should submit this entry to Parents magazine. Seriously. This is better than some of the articles I have read in there. You are such a talented writer. I can't wait for your next entry:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so I'm not the only one, well maybe not that extreme, but I had the same plan no tip-toeing around and made sure Travis and everyone knew but then like you said after finally getting the baby to sleep all that changed and Travis and I would argue - Me: "Stop being so loud, you'll wake the baby!" Travis: "you said NO Tip toing around!" etc. Hey whatever works for you, we all have a little crazy in us! By the way, plastic spoons... thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, so hilarious! I'm going through your sidebar of "Define Heavenly" and having a gigglefest over here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog through Barefoot Childhood and you have me in absolute giggles. This entry is the best EVER. I will be reading you regularly for certain.

    ReplyDelete

Hmm...And how did that make you FEEL?