Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

7 Quick Takes Friday, #79



1.  Mia: Mama, can you print another princess picture to color?
Me: Sure baby, as soon as I finish making dinner.

5 minutes later...

Mia: Mama, you didn't get my picture to color!  You said you would!
Me: I also said you'd have to wait for a few minutes....
Mia: But you're done now! 
Me: Ummm...no I'm not....
Mia: You ARE!  I just heard your brain, and it was saying "Okay, I'm done now."
Me: You heard...my brain?
Mia: Uh-huh.
Me: Well...what's my brain saying now?
Mia: It's saying "Oh, yeah!  I AM done!"



2.  Lauren: Look mama, I got a booger!
Me: Oh, uh...wow.  Here, let me...
Lauren: I'ma EAT my booger!
Me: NOOOOOOO!!!!
Lauren: *pops finger in her mouth*  BLECHGAGYACKBLECHSPATBLEAGH!!!
Me: I told you so.



3.  Justin: What's for dinner tonight?
Me: Pork chops.
Justin: Hm.  Ahhh...and what else?  Anything?
Me: Um, rice?  Vegetables?  It'll be good, I promise!
Justin: Hm.  Okay.  Are there any leftovers I could have instead?
Me: I'm going to hang up on you now...

later that evening....

Justin: *shoving bite after bite of delicious pork chops into his greedy mouth*  Ohmygosh...this is so, so, so good.  Mmmm.  Oh, yeah.
Me: I told you so.



4.  Here's the pork chop recipe, which, amazingly enough, I made up myself.  *brushes fake lint off cyber-shoulders*  I was in the mood for fall-flavored food, and this was perfect.

4 boneless pork chops, at least 1/2 inch thick
one half onion, sliced
one apple, peeled and thinly sliced
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup brown sugar

Sear pork chops in olive oil on high heat (don't cook all the way through, just brown the outside) and remove from pan.  In the same pan, melt butter, adding onions and apples.  Sprinkle sugar over onion mixture, and top with pork chops.  Cover pan and place into 350 degree oven for about an hour.  (I lost track of time, but it was somewhere between 50 and 60 minutes.)  Serve pork chops topped with caramelized onion mixture, unless your kids refuse, promising to withstand starvation instead.  Then, serve pork chops plain.  They'll still be tender and flavorful.



5.  Can I just mention that breastmilk will never be discovered to have insect parts within its contents?


6.  What premiers are you looking forward to this season?  I have to admit that I haven't even been watching enough television to know what's available, or when.  Justin and I have been watching reruns of Smallville on DVD, and it fulfills all of my dramatic, far-fetched, beautiful-people needs for the moment.  But in case I get burned out, what should we be watching?



7.  Here's what I'm excited about: Next week's forecast calls for temperatures in the 60's and 70's -- I might die of over-enjoyment. 

(Fall, you are the best.  I love you.  I always will.  Do you want to go steady with me?)


Head over to Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes, and have a gorgeous fall weekend!

18 comments:

  1. never new that Mia was telepathic :)

    dinner sounds yummy but sadly it is not the small child that i would have trouble feeding it to, at least Justin was willing to try it he he

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I think I would have eaten all those pork chops myself, so there! Love the conversations with the kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your girls are simply adorable - even if they are tasting their boogers... ;)

    Those pork chops sound scrumptious! I might have to give those a try next week!

    Chad and I's fave show right now is Parenthood at 9:00 on Tuesday nights on NBC. It's pretty good. Of course, we also like Survivor, but we watch that sporadically online together when we have time.

    Enjoy your beautiful fall weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that she can hear you brain, that's really good stuff, lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Add Glee to your TV schedule. It's the perfect make you smile show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh, that recipe sounds yummy! Thanks! Also, heard about the formula recall but didn't read about it, b/c we breastfeed here but OMGOSH.GAG.YUCK.SERIOUSLY?!BUG.PARTS?! Okay... Done now... We only watch Biggest Loser as far as network tv, so sorry no help there! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the conversations! The pork chops sound great! And yeah, that bug thing is gross!

    The only shows we watch on a fairly regular basis are NCIS (both of them), The Mentalist, and The Big Bang Theory. I wish we had USA, then we would watch more shows!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) That sounds just like my husband. I always get the, "are you sure?" Then I smile as he scarfs it down.

    2) I'm looking forward to Big Bang Theory. I think it aired yesterday but we rarely watch shows in real time these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah, Thanks for the pork chop recipe. It sounds yummy, I can't wait to try it. I wish I was skilled enough to just make up a new recipe and have it taste good! As for what we are watching - I am really liking Parenthood. I always find myself either laughing, crying or nodding in agreement while watching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh mylanta, the bug parts in the formula...made me want to gag. I am praying that this baby takes to breastfeeding as well as Lily did because the thought of formula now scares me!

    We really only have one night that we watch TV on and it happens to be Thursday -- we love The Office and The Mentalist, two shows we can both agree on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1-3 Hahahaha!
    4 Yum!
    5 Yes!!!
    6 We don't have a t.v., so I can't help you there.
    7 Fall makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found your blog yesterday. I love it!! You have been added to my list of favorites :) Your girls sound so delightful.
    I'm really enjoying Big Bang Theory, Glee and Castle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. #2- Hate to admit it, but my boys are totally stereotypical in that they love eating their boogers. LOVE it. Gag.

    #4- Opposite of gag. Drool. Adding to menu list.

    #5- Comeback for the gagging.

    #6- I love Project Runway! If sewing and fashion makes you want to gouge your eyes out, though, it might not be for you :) Mm, I also watched the series premiere of a new comedy called "Running Wilde" on Hulu.com, and it made me snort and laugh out loud. It was kind of ridiculous and great at the same time, but maybe give it a shot for yourself?

    Have an awesome weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm, Mia's conversation sounds a lot like conversations that I try to have with God sometimes... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh. Wow. This made me laugh so hard. : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have nominated you for a blog award. You can collect it here: http://emptydreamsdisplayed.blogspot.com/2010/09/my-favourite-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, yes! Lenae's right...Project Runway! If it were playing here, I'd totally be watching! (Actually, I still make my mom send me updates...but you know, I'm comforting myself with America's Next Top Model, which is good, but isn't quite as...awesome.)

    I love all your slices of conversation!

    And those pork chops? Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are some of the cutest and funniest conversations!!!
    Glee is worth the watch! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hmm...And how did that make you FEEL?