Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Simple Scones -or- So If I Bake Scones And Eat All Night Long, It's A...Fam-leeey Tradition

When my big extended family has a get-together or party, there's usually a list of needed food items that gets circulated around. Emails are forwarded, phone calls are made; we do whatever it takes to make sure all the bases are covered for meats, sides, desserts, breads - oh, and booze.

Over the years, it's become somewhat predictable as to who will bring what, so sometimes the food list is more of an assignment than an open-ended offering. Aunt Sherry will bring blue-cheese dressing and salad. Grandma blesses us with butterhorn rolls. My mom makes a chocolate pie. My brother buys some fancy wine. Aunt Linda brings a huge dish of frog-eye salad.

Slight deviations are made, usually only allowing for additions, not complete changes. When someone rocks the boat and tries to introduce us to a new recipe or tradition from some in-laws, we don't always accept it gracefully. It takes time for us to mourn the change, and we look sideways at the new dish, searching for meaning in it's unexpected presence.

Since I've only been eligible to bring food for a relatively short period of time (due to me now being a grown-up, and all), I usually get to just bring whatever I please. However, there are a few things that I'm beginning to get assigned on a regular basis.

Broccoli salad, and scones.

The first time I brought these things with me to a family event, they were declared good by the powers that be. And I haven't been able to outgrow them.

Granted, they are both really good recipes. I just get tired of not being able to branch out and wow them with a really great new recipe every now and then. Not that my new recipes are wow-worthy. Usually they flop. But I digress.

Also granted, it's usually my mom who assigns me these foods to bring. And I have a sneaking feeling she doesn't want me to get my feelings hurt when I bring some random offering that goes over like a lead balloon. I'm remembering my homemade potstickers, here. Which, for pity's sake what was I thinking? And I continue to digress.

So this week, my friend Jill asked me if I'd make something "bread-y" to bring to our Moms Matter group at church Friday morning. I agreed, getting excited about the possibilities for what I'd bake. I looked through some trusted recipes, searched my favorite food blogs, and brainstormed ideas for brunch-y baked goods. Cinnamon Rolls? A sweet quick-bread? Braided pastry? Muffins?

What did I end up with?

I made scones. For the millionth time.

My mom must know me so well. She's actually the one who gave me the recipe. Which means I can't take responsibility for the goodness of the end result. It all falls back on her. NO WONDER she always asks me to bring them...

Now wait, that's not fair. She got the recipe from Nancy, a co-worker of hers. Nancy's husband, Kenny, created this recipe from his own ideas, therefore he deserves total credit. Not me or my mom.

I'll include the recipe here, just in case something tragic happens to me and I'm no longer able to provide the scones. Someone will be able to keep up the tradition.

Either that or they'll finally say: God bless her, but couldn't she ever contribute something besides scones/broccoli salad?




Kenny's Scones


1 Cup sour cream
1 tsp. baking soda
4 Cups flour
1 1/2 Cups white sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. salt
1 Cup butter (room temp.)
1 egg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla


Preheat oven to 350, lightly grease a large baking sheet.

In a small bowl, blend sour cream and baking soda. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Cut in the butter. Stir in the sour cream mixture and egg into the flour mixture until just moistened.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly, just long enough to make sure all ingredients are incorporated. Do not overwork. Pat or roll dough out to about 3/4 inch thick, and cut scones into desired size and shape.

Bake 12 to 18 minutes or until bottom is golden brown.



That's it! They are really simple and delicious - not too dry like most scones I've had in the past. I could (and usually do) eat half a batch by myself.

Thanks Nancy's Kenny! Your scones make me and my family (or at least my mom...) very happy.






2 comments:

  1. I bought scones last night, maybe next weekend I'll make them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I've never made scones but have been wanting to lately. Maybe I'll try this recipe. It sounds easy enough.

    ReplyDelete

Hmm...And how did that make you FEEL?