Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Orange-Yogurt Cake for A Bigger Picture Birthday

When we decided to have birthday cake to celebrate TWO years with Bigger Picture Blogs, I got so excited that I couldn't choose just one. 

And I figured, two years deserves two cakes, right?  Especially since my first cake recipe took almost no effort (although provided tons of sweet reward). 

The recipe for Orange-Yogurt Cake is nearly as simple, but even more delicious than it has any right to be.  It would make a fantastic tea cake, as it's lightly sweet and crazy moist.  I topped mine with some more whipped cream (I couldn't let it go to waste!) but it would be delicious with a cream cheese frosting or a simple dusting of powdered sugar.  Plus, the delicate orange flavor is perfect for any occasion.  In fact, I've got a piece on a plate for my second breakfast as we speak. 


Yes, I DO eat second breakfasts.  Especially when they're fresh from the oven, and wafting their citrus scent all over my house. 



Orange-Yogurt Cake
(adapted from Martha Stewart Living, December 2006)

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed orange juice
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter an 8-inch round cake pan and set aside.  Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl before adding the yogurt, oil, orange zest, orange juice, egg, and vanilla.  Stir until smooth.  Pour into pan and bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack before turning cake out onto a plate for serving.  May be garnished with a dusting of powdered sugar, sugared orange segments, or freshly whipped cream.


*Note: I doubled the recipe and made two round cakes instead of one.  If I'm making a cake, I'm making a BIG ONE!



Now I'm off to treat myself to a sweet birthday celebration!  Join me?  Link your dessert recipes -- old or new -- and be sure to come back tomorrow for the OFFICIAL party!  We're sharing presents and creativity and collaboration...all the good stuff.  I hope you'll jump in and party like TWO year olds with us!

6 comments:

  1. I totally think I could do that. Thanks for the delicious idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You absoultely can! I had two littles scrambling around the countertop with me, and it still came out perfectly! One easy bowl of ingredients, et voila :) Let me know if you make it, how you like it!

      Delete
  2. Oh my, I love citrusy desserts! I might have to give this one a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the plain yogurt in this recipe, did you use greek yogurt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it was just regular, but I don't imagine greek would be a problem. Maybe just add an extra few teaspoons of orange juice to even out the consistency for stirring?

      Delete

Hmm...And how did that make you FEEL?