Pages

Friday, July 17, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday, #23



1. On my second trip to the grocery store yesterday - my THIRD of the week - I needed onions and garlic or else my Pasta Ala Vodka would have been just plain plain. Lord help me if I ever actually buy all the foods on my shopping list during the same grocery trip. This would be a miracle, and I'm not sure I could deal with the publicity it would generate. Anyway, while there, Mia spotted something interesting.

"Mama!" she shouted, "Those onions are RED!!"

"Yes they are, sweetie," I replied, "good noticing. They're pretty, huh?"

"Yeah! *giggles* They're STRAWBERRY onions!!"

If that's not the cutest thing around, I'll stick my hand down a garbage disposal. I'm that enamored.



2. Something that wasn't so cute? Mia throwing herself down on the middle of the Chick-Fil-A floor during the lunch rush because I dared to say it was time to go home. Darn that indoor playground. And darn my red face. This was one of those now-rare fits that makes me wonder how we ever made it to the other side of the terrible twos. I'm so thankful that as a three and a half year old, she's becoming more reasonable. But this means that when a fit does crop up it REALLY CROPS UP. No fun.



3. And about those terrible twos, I remember that Mia started showing signs of...um...infection at about 15 to 18 months. Lauren is almost 16months old. Her attitude is developing, her frown is budding, her screams are growing in number and volume. Hold me. Pray for me? God willing, I'll see you on the other side. Maybe Lauren's will be milder than Mia's was.



4. As a reminder about how cute and sweet this little baby girl of mine still is, here's a story. After I vacuumed this week, Lauren emerged from Mia's bedroom where they were holed up against the fright caused by the loud vacuum cleaner. I hadn't yet wound up the cord and stowed the machine back in it's hiding place, and Lauren wasn't so sure if she should walk anywhere near it. She gave it a wide berth - clutching her blankie and frowning mightily in it's direction. I watched out of the corner of my eye as she approached it sideways, getting within touching distance before scurrying away with her hands tucked safely into herself. Eventually, she got brave enough to reach out and give it a quick smack on the tank - bent half over from trying to maintain a safe distance.

It was adorable watching her experiment with bravery - circling around and around the vacuum - and after several good slaps, she walked right up to it and gave it a hug. A fear, overcome. As long as the power is off.



5. I'm so excited about Pioneer Woman's new recipe sharing site! She just introduced Tasty Kitchen this week, and it looks great so far. I'm always looking for new recipes and using recipe search sites, so I'm hoping this one will be good.

Does anyone else wonder how she has time to get so much done?



6. My garden seems to have reached it's peak, and is coming back down the other side. The broccoli is spent, the cabbage is waning, the green beans are getting sparse. But tomatoes are coming out of my ears. And the carrots are looking great -above ground anyway. I'm too skeered to pull one up and see how they're faring below ground.

The best news of all is that my red peppers are starting to turn red, much to my surprise. They were SO green for SO long that we started to wonder if something was going wrong with the red part. But this week, a slow blush began creeping around the edges, and now each pepper has a brilliant red stripe of color. Beautiful. Amazing. I love this part of gardening - the wonder of food actually being produced under my own care.



7. You should go read Lenae's post this week about raising babies. She perfectly captures my (and probably your) sentiments about the beautiful/messy work of parenting toddlers. My favorite passage goes like this:
"Some of the day's activities are small, humble tasks that make little
difference in either of our universes... sometimes, you've just got to scrub
grilled cheese off the wall and try to do it with a smile."


Mosey on over to Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes, and have a wonderful weekend!

14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness- I actually squeaked with embarrassment and pleasant surprise at the shout-out; thank you! You are too kind :)

    I wish my kids were afraid of the vacuum cleaner. Vacuuming is usually a rush job for me because Eli chases me around the living room before trying to chew on the cord (scary!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you stumbled on my blog! Your garden sounds amazing! We have one, but not as packed-full as yours... Also, your daughter making peace with the vacuum, so sweet! I can just picture it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The garden sounds awesome!

    And what is this "Chick-Fil-A" of which you speak? We don't have anything cool like that in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really afraid of the garbage disposal, too.

    My husband told me that the girls' "terrible twos" started at 18 months and lasted until 4. Charming. (I have a rough three plus years ahead of me, and that is if we DON'T have more!) But he also said that the age of four is so amazingly magical and wonderful that it makes up for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lenae - I'm glad I caused a squeak!

    Kate - Thanks for stumbling back!

    Megan - NO CHICK-FIL-A?! And you still live there?! It's my favorite fast food ever. Ever.

    Rebecca - I hear the same thing about age 4. I can see the beginnings of it from where we stand right now, and it looks oh so sweet. In the meantime, get good at sticking to your guns :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, I can just imagine your daughter circling the vacuum...so cute! My oldest was terrified of ours for a long time, and just got over her fear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you through Conversion Diary...I love the stories about the red onions and the vacuum. I TOTALLY sympathize with your shopping woes..even if I have a list I always miss something. I also find myself backtracking about five hundred times in the grocery store. Every time I go in I say to myself that this time I am going through the store left to right and no backing up and every time I back up...sometimes all the way to the other side of the store! And still I forget stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have one child deathly afraid of the vacuum and the other that would ride it like a horse while I'm vacuuming if I'd like him.

    I hear you on the tantrums. My just-turned-2 boy is capable of the most obnoxious screaming and kicking you've ever seen (and also some of the most loving gentle hugs!). My older son is 3 1/2 and yep- not as many tantrums but boy are they GIGANTIC when they hit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! My daughter is 5 and still afraid of the vacuum. Luckily, she's over the tantrums! I used to avoid play places at all costs! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your comments. My little one is also 16 months and has mastered 'no', the tantrums have not yet started but I sure they are a-comin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for stopping by my blog. as for the freezer dinner, it turned out alright...still don't remember exactly what it was called, though! i love the picture of your daughter hugging the vacuum...my kids stand on the couch and scream during the process as loud as they can. it is fun! and chick-fil-a...ahhh, my children dream of actually going IN..as for now we stick to drive thru!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chick fil A ROCKS!

    My son, Logan, has ben fully infected with the terrible two's! Ican't wait for this stage to be over.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it sad when the garden becomes less productive? :(

    I pulled out a carrot the other day just to check on them. LOL It was okay. It wasn't huge, but I could certainly use it. Good luck with them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hmm...And how did that make you FEEL?