Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Simple, Quick Meal: Parmesan Tilapia

Do you like fish?  In general, I don't.  Most fish is too fishy for my delicate tastes, and I don't get too far with seafood. 

But in an effort to provide at least one fish-based meal for my family, I experimented with the most mild, innocuous type of fish I could find -- Tilapia.  After a few tries, this is what I came up with: Parmesan Tilapia.  It's savory enough to mask most of the (already mild) fish flavor, and simple enough to be a quick, weeknight favorite.  Both of my daughters love it; Justin more than loves it -- he BEGS for it; Even I -- the self-professed fish-hater -- like it. 

It's a keeper!


Parmesan Tilapia

6 Tilapia fillets
2 - 3 Tbsp butter
garlic salt
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Rinse Tilapia fillets; pat dry.  Evenly arrange fillets on a (lightly oiled or sprayed) broiling rack.  Dot each fillet with approximately 1/2 Tbsp butter, and sprinkle each with a dash of garlic salt.  Broil until fish is white and flaky, about 8 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets.  (I never time it, but just keep a close eye on the oven.  Broiling gets the job done quickly.)  When fillets are just this side of done, cover each with a generous sprinkle of shredded parmesan.  One or two tablespoons per fillet should be plenty.  Pop the fish back under the broiler for a minute or two, until the parmesan is a golden brown, melty crust.  Serve immediately. 

I usually add baked sweet potatoes, some sort of rice, and steamed vegetables to round out the dish.  I hope you like it!

10 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! I love tilapia ever since I had some pulled fresh out of Lake Victoria in Uganda. It really is a yummy fish and I love the parm idea! I'm going to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...I've got a recipe for Tortilla Crusted Tilapia that is also good for fish haters :) I'm definitely going to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm!What's not to love about parmesean and butter and garlic??? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a tilapia lover too! And the combo of butter, garlic and parmesan... oh my, yum! This recipe will definitely be going in my book! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a fellow fish hater, I'll have to try this. Quick and easy (and cheesy). Just my style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm a fish hater too, but I think you have convinced me to try this....

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love tilapia, usually, we grill it and blacken it with spices. It taste pretty darn amazing. This looks good to and a nice variation of what we already like. We try and serve fish at least twice a week, so variations are always welcome. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that sounds great! I've been afraid to try any types of fish except salmon (since my husband knows how to cook that), but I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great recipe! Anything with golden Parmesan on top is always delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We tried this last night and enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Hmm...And how did that make you FEEL?